Gypsy Jazz Genealogy (original) (raw)

MitchMitch Paris, Jazz manouche's capital city!✭✭✭✭ Di Mauro, Lebreton, Castelluccia, Patenotte, Gallato

Hi Guys,

Well it's funny Bob I've been working about that musical genealogy for almost ten years now...
I called it "Cercles manouches"...
Well "working" maybe overrated but I have notes on that and I am constantly thinking of "school identification when I hear a new player.
Like "who's in the steps of Matelo, who's in the steps of Tchan-Tchou, Stochelo, Benson, etc..."
People in France like to put a label on people, trends... etc. It's rather a default than a quality by the way.

Anyway defining the "school" of a player can be simple if he had one or several teachers but at the end all musicians are fed with multiple influences.
Benoît Convert learned with the 100 % roots style Felix brothers and now is putting some Pat Metheny stuff in his playing, as a representant of the "new school of gypsy jazz"...
Also, being in Paris it's easier to identify these trends by seeing with whom the great players tend to play and hang out. Samois is good for that too regarding the foreign players.

But I should be able to go further in these analysis and share them pretty soon...