Re: X-Oz: Next Move, was: Debian Legal summary of the X-Oz License (original) (raw)

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 09:24:22AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:

As you know, I think changing a simple statement into one of the condition clauses is a substantial change in these new licences, apparently not shared by any other.

I agree.

We last heard from a representative of X-Oz, selussos mgr@x-oz.com, on 7 March. In the messages that day (apart from accusations about -legal contributors motives), she indicated that the X-Oz licence needs US copyright law and "fair use" doctrine to meet some basic DFSG ideas. She also wrote that she "will be away for several days" but that was 20 days ago. http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/debian-legal-200403/author.html

What are the next steps?

I don't think any code under this license should be permitted into Debian main until the license's meaning has been clarified by the copyright holder(s) using it.

As far as I know, the only copyright holder using the X-Oz license is X-Oz Technologies, Inc.

There isn't really a next step until and unless X-Oz chooses to respond to our questions.

-- G. Branden Robinson | Debian GNU/Linux | Please do not look directly into branden@debian.org | laser with remaining eye. http://people.debian.org/~branden/ |