Re: Final text of GPL v3 (original) (raw)

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007, Anthony W. Youngman wrote:

In message <[🔎] 20070703225218.GH31687@archimedes.ucr.edu>, Don Armstrong don@debian.org writes

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007, Anthony W. Youngman wrote:

Sklyarov did what he did AT HOME IN RUSSIA. It was the company he worked for that marketed it in America.

And Sklyarov who traveled to the US and (at the time) allegedly broke the law in a demonstration while in the US. [The insanity of the anticircumvention clause of the DMCA notwithstanding.]

If he was charged with breaking US law on US soil, fair enough. The problem, as I see it, was that he was ...

Charged with breaking US law, as a result of actions he did in Russia, in order to comply with Russian law.

THAT is the lunacy (and American megalomania) of the Sklyarov debacle.

Except that he wasn't. Reading the complaint and indictment would be a reasonable first start before complaining about American megalomania. [Otherwise you're indulging in the American pastime of rushing to judgement.]

In addition to the demonstration, the server from which the ebook processer was distributed was located within the US, as was the payment processing stuff. You can't distribute goods in a country and remain free from being indicted when those goods violate the laws of a country, the sanity of the country's laws notwithstanding.

Regardless, we're wildly OT for -legal.

Don Armstrong

-- When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips.

http://www.donarmstrong.com http://rzlab.ucr.edu