Re: Bacula and OpenSSL (original) (raw)

On Monday 16 July 2007 17:15, Shane M. Coughlan wrote:

Hi Kern

Kern Sibbald wrote:

Yes, and in addition, after Josselin's email, I did a bit of research, and for at least one of the files that we use (fnmatch.c), the FSF license was changed from GPL to LGPL sometime in 2004 the best I can tell. Unfortunately, we are still using the old GPL'ed version rather than the newer LGPL'ed version. While it would be best to convert to the newer version, it is not so easy as the we have made some modifications to the old one to support Win32 systems (stupid difference of path separators, ...). Question: for old GPL'ed versions of fnmatch.c and fnmatch.h that we are using copyrighted in 1997 by FSF, would it be possible to modify them to use the LGPL as you are currently doing? That would give me a bit of breathing room (i.e. no recoding for the moment). Long term, I am probably going to use your newer LGPLed version since it supports UTF-8, but that will take some modifications and lots of testing.

FSF would need to answer this question directly. FSF and FSFE are sister organisations but we are administratively separate. I will pass this question onward off-list. :)

OK, understood thanks. This is not really extremely urgent since its determination will not change the immenent 2.2.0 release.

However, one important issue to work through is Josselin's claim that due to the wording in GPL v3, I could switch to it, and it would be OK to link OpenSSL in as shared objects.

I am discussing this with Brett Smith at the moment.

Thanks. This point is important (pressing) as it could provide a quick solution for Debian.

Best regards,

Kern

Regards

Shane