Re: Final text of GPL v3 (original) (raw)

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 11:09:53AM +0100, Gervase Markham wrote:

Steve Langasek wrote:

Francesco isn't giving advice to people in Italy, he's giving advice to people on debian-legal as a whole. Given that unlicensed legal advice is a criminal matter as Sean mentions, there is more to be concerned about than his local laws.

If this were true, the logical consequences are absurd. If I send an email to my friend Bob in the USA, suggesting that he should go to the judge and ask for leniency on his drink driving charge, I can now be arrested for committing a criminal offence next time I travel to the USA?

It's unlikely (Bob has to be in a jurisdiction within the US where offering such legal advice is a criminal offense, and someone has to file charges, and the police have to decide it's worth their bother to get a warrant for your arrest, and the warrant has to come to the attention of someone you come in contact with when you enter the US), but seems possible.

Whatever happened to the First Amendment?

Do you also count on First Amendment protection against charges of libel, slander, and false advertising?

-- Steve Langasek Give me a lever long enough and a Free OS Debian Developer to set it on, and I can move the world. vorlon@debian.org http://www.debian.org/