Re: Bacula and OpenSSL (original) (raw)

Thomas Dickey dickey@saltmine.radix.net writes:

Simon Josefsson simon@josefsson.org wrote:

Kern Sibbald kern@sibbald.com writes:

GPL + OpenSSL exception would be enough to be sure. You may have more luck convincing copyright owners to grant an OpenSSL exception than to accept an entirely new license.

I am told that FSF never grants exceptions so this is a hopeless path that I have already explored.

That is incorrect. The FSF has granted OpenSSL license exceptions to some software that links to OpenSSL. For example, GNU wget.

That's not an example (unless you're intending to show a case where FSF allows itself to do things that it forbids others ;-)

I don't follow, what do you mean? GNU wget is distributed under the GPL with a license exception to permit linking with OpenSSL.

As far as I know, the FSF doesn't forbid anyone to use GPL with an OpenSSL exception.

/Simon